< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.frassle.net/catfishncod" />
Catfish and Cod
Friday, July 18, 2003
 
Someone has their priorities straight.
(Link path: Sgt. Stryker, Pejmanesque, King of the Blogs, Andrew Sullivan, MSNBC)

David Kay, the new chief weapons inspector, interviewed by Tom Brokaw.

The standard commentary can be accessed by the links above; it's all been done and I won't rehash it. Instead, let me direct your attention to a little-noticed exchange (emphases mine):


Brokaw: There’s a lot of political pressure on, David.
Kay: You know that’s not what worries me. What worries me is that I know if we can’t explain the WMD program of Iraq, we lose credibility with regard to other states like Iran, Syria, North Korea. I also know I have to worry about where did what was here go? It would be the ultimate national tragedy if in a war to end proliferation, we actually allowed to escape to other states and rogue groups. And thirdly, I strongly believe that we are going to learn lessons that will shape the American intelligence gathering system for a generation ahead off of this. We need to get to the bottom of this so we can draw those lessons.


We yell and scream about bureaucrats so much that it's sometimes hard to remember their great virtue: a good bureaucrat puts their profession first and thinks about more than the next election.